NEXT TRAINING: 2024 March – July, Stroud. Dates at bottom of page. Only 6 places left
An essential training that helps you acquire new skills to protect your body from the long term effects of your profession, thereby extending your career.
BASIC OUTLINE of WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
– How to replace the use of your hands for just about any massage moves done on the table, chair and side-lying
– How to skilfully and sensitively apply firm pressure with your forearms and elbows with minimum effort for maximum effect
– Dynamic bodyuse to support you
WHY LEARN THIS?
– Prevent overuse and strain of your hands, wrist and shoulders
– Protect your body from the long term effects of your profession thereby extending your career
– Expand your repertoire
“Best thing you’ll ever do! My practice is transformed and clients are delighted. Love it! The course has given me the confidence in both my skills and stamina and it’s showing in bookings, which is amazing!!!” – Jessie Docherty
“After the training, I decided to take the plunge and quit my NHS job. I’m so excited to be a full-time massage therapist.” – Helen Johnstone
“The 8 Day Training really does change your practice. The course itself is well paced with plenty of time between classes to practice and develop the skills. There are plenty of follow up videos and a well illustrated manual. Stop thinking about it and take that leap of faith. You will not regret it.” – Carmen Zahra
“Thank you for the beautiful course.
It has changed my working life and will keep me going for many more years!” – Maya van der Galien
You invested in learning massage.
Now it’s time to invest in the longevity of your career.
ONLY 6 places left!!
This 8 Day Training (FHT Accredited) is designed to save your fingers, thumbs and wrists … and the rest of your body too!
Learn new tools to replace the use of your hands for just about anything you do in a massage! Say ‘bye bye’ to using your hands for effleurage, petrissage, stretches, mobilisations and seated massage. Expand your repertoire and freshen your approach.
You’ll learn how to skilfully and sensitively apply firm pressure with your forearms and elbows, which is more effective and safer (for you in the long run) than using your hands.
Posture plays a major role in this and we therefore instill dynamic and effective body use to support you, thereby further helping you to maintain your career.
You will become skilful, sensitive, dynamic, adaptive and effective with these new techniques!
For your clients, this results in receiving a better and more effective treatment.
The course assumes and builds upon a developed feeling for pacing and fluidity in massage, and monitoring and adapting to the client’s build, comfort and responses.
Clients are often amazed at how deep you can work without it hurting.
Who is this course for and group size
- CPD Workshop for Qualified Massage Practitioners, Aromatherapists etc
- Mostly people who attend this training are experiencing pain in their backs, wrists and hands
- Others are wanting to learn new skills and learn how to work on more deeply without causing their body any harm
- Anyone who wants to expand their massage repertoire and learn over 60 new techniques to incorporate into massage
- You must have a minimum nationally recognised Level 3 Body Massage qualification such as Swedish Massage, Sports, Aromatherapy – also open to Osteopaths, Chiropractors etc. This is a Level 3 Advanced Massage course.
- There are only 12-16 places available on the training which ensures individual attention for all attendees
“Thank you again for the most wonderful course, it’s the best training I’ve done in years! Yesterday I gave two 90 minute sessions back-to-back, and I hardly had any back ache and actually felt energised rather than exhausted. It’s a miracle! “
Advanced Hands Free Massage Training covers
- A range of forearm and elbow techniques that can substitute for and extend ‘classic’ massage techniques with varied pressure for table, chair and side-lying massage
- The soft forearm (the fleshy inner forearm) for effleurage, petrissage and applying widespread general pressure. The soft forearm is firmer and uses less effort than using your hand
- The hard forearm (the ulna) and the bony areas around the elbow for applying focused pressure in an appropriate, skilful and sensitive way in order to save your fingers, thumb, knuckles, wrist, lower back and shoulders
- Using the whole forearm for mobilising parts of the body, for applying stretches
- All of these ‘tools’ for oil, non-oil massage and seated massage (on an ordinary chair, which can be adapted for massage chair)
- How and where to best use these new ‘tools’
- How to moderate the pressure applied
- How to monitor and adapt to different client builds, tensions and their responses
- How to blend Hands Free Massage techniques smoothly into massage sessions
- How to support all of the above with dynamic bodyuse, rather than working too hard with your arms and shoulders
- Learning to feel with the forearm – in order to monitor and adapt to the client’s responses
Helen’s thoughts about the training
“I now feel totally competent as a massage therapist, love hands free and I no longer have the worry that I’m going to have to give up, as I no longer have wrist, thumb and finger pain which was a real worry for me.
Leora was fabulous! She is so enthused by what she is teaching. She was wonderfully attentive to our use of Hands Free and I felt confident from day 1 that it would be a great course.
For me now there is no other way to massage, it has changed my life completely, I feel confident I can deliver a good massage and know I do from client feedback. I also love that I get a lot closer to clients in a way.
And thank you to Darien Pritchard, my original teacher, BCMB for all my CPD courses last year and Leora Sharp for the life transforming Hands Free training I’ve just completed.”
– Helen Watkins
ONLY 6 places left!!
Outline of the training
Below is the basic outline of what you will learn. There are opportunities on all days to:
- Warm up and learn about body dynamics and body use
- Learn new techniques or adapt previous learning to other parts of the body
- Adapt movements/techniques according to client’s build, tensions and responses to the techniques
- Add these movements/techniques to your familiar massage style (consolidated and integrate)
- Monitor bodyuse and change it as necessary to prevent overuse and strain
- Self, peer and tutor assessment/feedback
- Recap learning
… and all the way through the training you learn effective body dynamics/posture to support your movement AND Hands Free Massage techniques for seated clients.
PLUS you’ll receive a lot of massage throughout the training.
ONLY 6 places left!!
- This course does NOT cover: using the knees, legs and feet, because these work best when the client is lying on a low table or a futon on the floor (as is done in many Eastern massage traditions).
- Class size: This will vary depending on where the course is run. Participants receive satisfactory individual instruction, and also have a range of fellow students to practice on, under supervision of the tutor. Average class size is 8 – 16 students.
- Class times: In general, each training day is from 10am – 5.30pm (which might vary depending on location) with an afternoon tea break (sometimes in the morning as well) and 1hr-ish for lunch.
- No ‘gung-ho’ manner: Hands Free ‘tools’ are strong and powerful. If used without care, one can deliver bruising pressure to clients. Therefore, using them skilfully, sensitively and learning how to adapt each technique to a range of builds, tolerances and reactions is a core part of the training. The tutors reserve the right to dismiss students from the course who consistently use these tools in an unnecessarily ‘gung-ho’ manner.
Who can attend, accreditation & CPD points
- To attend you must have a minimum nationally recognised Level 3 Body Massage qualification such as Swedish Massage, Sports, Aromatherapy and have practitioner insurance. Also open to Osteopaths, Chiropractors, Physiotherapist etc
- You do not have to attend the 1 Day Intro or 2 Day Basic before attending this 8 Day Advanced Training
- 60 hours / 60 CPD points
- FHT Accredited Short Course
- There are only 16 places (only 7 available now) on the training which ensures individual attention for all attendees
- Got questions? Read the FAQs here
Dates, location, fees
Duration, dates, times, location
4 sessions of 2 days each.
Spread over 4 months.
Mar – Sun/Mon 17/18
Apr – Sun/Mon 28/29
Jun – Fri/Sat 7/8
Jul – Fri/Sat 19/20
10am – 5.30pm each day
St Luke’s Therapy Centre, 53 Cainscross Road, Stroud, GL5 4EX
Course fees & inclusions
£970 or payment scheme £995 (payment scheme details in next section)
- 8 days of tuition (excluding catch up sessions if you have to miss any learning time)
- Training manual
- Session related handouts
- Moderate student support and supervision throughout the course. Extra support is available for which tuition fees apply
- Access to about 70 videos during and for 3 months after the training to help you embed the learning
- FHT Accredited Short Course
Support after your training
You will be able to attend Massage Practice days.
Payment scheme and booking terms
Paying for your transformational training
Fee including course materials
Deposit and payment scheme period is now closed. Full course fee required for booking your place.
- Full payment is needed to secure your place
- If you need to cancel your place between now and the March 13th, the full fees are still payable, unless we are able to fill your space. You will be transferred to the to the next training course. A further supplementary fee may be applicable, for example, if the course price changes.
- If an extenuating circumstance occurs and you cannot continue the training (e.g. a bereavement of a close family member, or any serious illness is discovered and unknown to you at the start of the training, or an accident occurs) a doctor’s certificate will be required. You will be able to transfer to the next training subject to the course being confirmed to run and there being spaces available. However, this will be at our discretion and an admin/supplementary fee will be applicable.
- Full course attendance is required as the training is only 8 days.
- If you cannot attend some of the training for reasons out of your control, you are required to make efforts to catch up. This can be done in 2 ways; 1. You can meet with a fellow learner for a catch up session and you are required (by means of a video) to show a good level of competency or understanding of what you missed. 2. You can organise private tuition with your course tutor, the cost of which will be discussed with you at the time.
- If the training needs to be rescheduled, you will be transferred to the rescheduled training. If you cannot attend some or any of the new dates, other teaching arrangements or refunds can be negotiated.
- If the training needs to be cancelled completely, for whatever reason, all monies paid (including the deposit & admin fee if paid) will be repaid.